TEAMS HEAD TO SALT CREEK JUNE 16-18 FOR THE 2012 NATIONAL INTERSCHOLASTIC CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY NIKE!
Monday, June 11, 2012 | Written by Janice Aragon
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2012 NSSA NATIONAL INTERSCHOLASTIC CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY NIKE
SALT CREEK, DANA POINT, CALIFORNIA
2012 NATIONAL COLLEGE CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY NIKE/2012 CBS SPORTS NETWORK ALT GAMES PRESENTED BY JACK IN THE BOX - JUNE 16
NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY NIKE – JUNE 17-18
NATIONAL MIDDLE SCHOOL CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY NIKE – JUNE 17-18
THE NSSA GEARS UP FOR THE 2012 NATIONAL INTERSCHOLASTIC CHAMPIONSHIPS AT SALT CREEK
REIGNING COLLEGE MEN'S NATIONAL CHAMPION BRENT REILLY
(Huntington Beach, Ca – June 11, 2012) – Less than one week away, the National Scholastic Surfing Association (NSSA) will kick off its National Championships summer marathon with the 35th annual National Interscholastic Surfing Championships presented by Nike. Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point, California will again play host to the nation’s largest and highest profile interscholastic team surfing event. 2012 marks the twelfth consecutive year that the National Interscholastics have been staged at Salt Creek, one the sport’s most picturesque and high performance surfing arenas.
A total of 41 teams and over 350 surfers will contend for National Championship titles in both team and individual categories which includes male, female and longboard divisions. Each team is composed of 9 surfers consisting of 6 males, 2 females and 1 longboarder. Rivalries are the best part about any team sport and we have plenty of them here. For three short days in June of every year, the teams come in, play their best and the victors go home as National Champions for the year. In 2011 the champions were Mira Costa College, San Clemente High School (Varsity), Huntington Beach High School (Junior Varsity) and Shorecliffs Middle School. Which team will bring home a national championship in 2012?
Action will kick off Saturday, June 16th with the National College Championships dominating the entire day of competition and will conclude with finals in all college categories. For the second consecutive year, the NSSA College Championships will be run in conjunction with The Alt Games: College Action Sports Championships on CBS Sports Network (see below for more information).
The High School and Middle School Championships will hit the lineup on June 17th and will definitely offer a power packed day of competition. The following day June 18th will feature continued preliminary rounds and finals of the National High School and Middle School Championships.
2012 TEAM LINEUPS
Schools competing in the National College Championships are: San Diego State-Black, San Diego State-Red, University of North Carolina Wilmington, UC Santa Barbara-Gold, UC Santa Barbara-Blue, Florida Institute of Technology, Mira Costa-Red, Mira Costa-White, University of Central Florida, Saddleback, Flagler, UC San Diego, University of North Florida, Cal State San Marcos, UCLA, USD and USC.
HIGH SCHOOL VARSITY
Schools competing in the National High School (Varsity) Championships are: San Clemente, Huntington Beach, Edison, Mira Costa, Newport Harbor, Marina, Melbourne, Jupiter, Manasquan and Kamehameha.
HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR VARSITY
Schools competing in the National High School (Junior Varsity) Championships are: Huntington Beach, Newport Harbor and Marina.
Schools competing in the National Middle School Championships are: Shorecliffs-A, Shorecliffs-B, Dwyer, Aviara Oaks, Marco Forster, Sowers-A, Sowers-B, California Virtual Academy, Vista Del Mar. Bernice Ayer and Kamehameha.
NATIONAL INTERSCHOLASTIC AWARDS PRESENTATION
The National College Championship awards presentation will be held at the championship podium at Salt Creek on June 16th immediately following the last final of the competition at approximately 5:45 pm. Opening up the awards ceremony will be the presentation of the second annual Chuck Allen Memorial Trophy to the outstanding college surfer of the 2012 National College Championships. The 2012 NSSA Captains of the Year Doug Van Mierlo, Chad Dime and Josh Morse from San Diego State will be recognized followed by the presentation of the finalists and winners of the championships.
CBS SPORTS NETWORK ALT GAMES EXCLUSIVE COVERAGE
For the second consecutive year, the NSSA College Surfing Championships will be featured on national television as part of CBS Sports Network’s coverage of The Alt Games: College Action Sports Championships. Surfing action debuts Friday, July 13 at 9:00 PM, ET and highlights from the Championships will also be part of a special one-hour show airing on the CBS Television Network on Sunday, August 12 (1:00-2:00 PM, ET). For more information, including a full programming schedule and how to get CBS Sports Network, go to www.cbssportsnetwork.com.
A few interesting facts about the NSSA National Interscholastic Championships:
· UC Santa Barbara holds the record for most wins in the National College Championships with 13 national titles.
· UC San Diego is second overall for most wins in the National College Championships with 6 national titles.
· An east coast team has yet to win a National title. The University of North Carolina Wilmington came the closest in 2009 with a runner-up finish to Cal State San Marcos.
· Huntington Beach High School holds the record for most wins in the National High School Championships and overall National Interscholastic Championship victories with 17 national titles. Their last victory was in 1998.
· San Clemente High School is second overall for most national titles in the National High School Championships with 11.
· San Clemente is currently holding down a two year win streak taking the National title in 2010 and 2011
· Shorecliffs Middle School holds the record for most wins in the National Middle School Championships with 9 national titles.
· Shorecliffs Middle School has a 6-year National title streak going.
· San Diego State enters the 2012 National College Championships ranked first.
· San Clemente enters the 2012 National High School Championships ranked first.
· Shorecliffs enters the 2012 National Middle School Championships ranked first.
· Mira Costa took their third career National title at the 2011 National College Championships
· Mira Costa College’s Brent Reilly will return to compete for his second straight National College Men’s title.
· Amy Nicholl, the 2009 National College Women’s Champion will be back to compete for the University of Central Florida. In 2011, Nicholl was the first recipient of the annual Chuck Allen Trophy.
· San Clemente High School’s Breyden Taylor will return to compete for his second straight National High School Men’s title.
· Huntington Beach High School’s Tony Bartovich will return to compete for his second straight National High School Longboard title.
· Aviara Oaks Middle School’s Kylie Loveland will return to compete for her second straight National Middle School Girls title.
Stay logged on to the NSSA Facebook Fan Page for daily updates from the 2012 NSSA National Interscholastic Championships.
The 2012 NSSA National Interscholastic Championships is presented by Nike and proud to have support from Surfing Magazine, Vitaminwater, Huntington Surf and Sport, Sex Wax and the Alt Games: College Action Sports Championships on CBS Sports Network.
The NSSA National Interscholastic Championships presented by Nike is the sixth of seven events on the 2012 NSSA Championship Series. The 2012 Championship Series events include the State Championships at Huntington Beach Pier March 9-11, the Hawaii Regional Championships at Kewalo Basin, Oahu, HI March 13-18; the East Coast Regional Championships at New Smyrna Beach Inlet, FL April 12-15; the NSSA Jr. Championships at Huntington Beach Pier, CA April 21; the West Coast Regional Championships at Huntington Beach Pier, CA May 17-20; the NSSA National Interscholastic Championships at Salt Creek June 16-18 and Huntington Beach Pier, CA June 26-July 3.
A COMPLETE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR THE 2012 NATIONAL INTERSCHOLASTIC CHAMPIONSHIPS IS AVAILABLE ONLINE ON THE NSSA WEBSITE WWW.NSSA.ORG